Welcome to the world of textbook buyback
Welcome to the World of Textbook Buyback
1. The best time for buyback is going to be during finals. Once you've finished with your class and you are certain you don't need the book again, bring it in.
2. Condition matters. A little bit of highlighting is fine (about 10% of pages with highlighting). Water damage, torn pages, torn covers will all seriously devalue your book. Remove your tabs! Take care of them!
3. Custom editions, loose leaf and old editions will have lower value.
- Custom edition are crafted for a specific class or even specific section. They are usually bundled with other material and it can be hard/impossible to know if it will ever be used again.
- Looseleaf books are simply copies of the standard book with the spine and binding cut away. It can be extremely hard to deterimine if all the pages are present. They may have some buyback value but it will not be close to what the standard book buys for.
- Old edition books may have some buyback value but it will not be close to what the current edition buys for.
1. Your book will need to be in excellent condition. Not all online vendors will return your book if they deem it "unacceptable". They may also downgrade the buyback value without informing you.
2. To get paid, you have to wait (If you ship during the end of semester, these times may double due to the volume these companies are handling).
- You have to ship the book.
- They have to receive the book (can take up to 2 weeks)
- They have to grade the book (can take up to 2 weeks)
Most online vendors offer an option to send your money via digital accounts. This can still take a day. If they send a check, again, it can take up to 2 weeks.
If you opt to sell your book on a site such as Amazon, Half.com, Alibris
- They will take a portion of the payment.
- You may have to pay for some of the shipping cost.
- You are responsible for making sure the order is packed well.
- You are responsible for making sure the order is shipped promptly.
- You will need to deal with any customer issues.
- You will need to wait for your money. Most sites withhold payment disbursements for a set amount of time. Usually around two weeks.
Let Book iT! buy your book!